Netgear orbi setup If your modem is not providing you with the desired internet experience,…
Do you worry that someone will gain access to your Netgear range extender’s wifi network? If you answered yes to the question, you’ve come to the correct place. Here, we’ll show you how to secure your Netgear wifi extender. So, let’s get this party started.
Here’s are some techniques to secure your Netgear wifi extender:
Modify the Default Admin Information
Every Netgear range extender comes with a pre-configured login and password so that users can be up and running quickly. However, after Netgear wifi extender setup, the default login credentials must be modified. It is necessary to prevent unauthorized people from accessing the Netgear range extender.
Now, let’s go over how to alter your Netgear wireless extender’s default admin credentials:
- Connect your Netgear wifi extender to a power source.
- Connect the extender to the router through a cable or wireless connection.
- After that, obtain access to a PC or laptop.
- Launch a web browser such as Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari, or another.
- Please keep in mind that no matter whatever web browser you choose to modify the default login admin details of your Netgear extender, it must be up to current.
- Navigate to the address bar.
- Enter mywifiext.local.
- Enter the Enter key.
- You’ll be sent to the Netgear Genie smart setup wizard.
- Navigate to Settings > Password.
- In the New User Name area, type the new name for the extension.
- Select the Password option now.
- In the New Password section, enter the password for your wifi extender.
- In the Verify Password section, enter the extender’s password again.
- Select and respond to security questions.
- To save your changes, tap on the save button.
In this method, you can encrypt your WiFi network by changing the default login credentials of your Netgear range extender.
Use a Secure WiFi Password
Another way to secure your Netgear wifi extender is to change the default wifi password. Remember to create a strong wifi password for your extender.
If you’re unfamiliar with how to change the WiFi password on your Netgear range extender, here’s how:
- Ascertain that your device has access to a lightning-fast internet connection.
- Using an updated web browser, navigate to the 192.168.1.250 IP address.
- Enter the default login credentials for your Netgear wireless extender.
- Note: If you’ve updated your Netgear extender’s default username and password to encrypt your WiFi network, consider using them instead of the previous ones.
- When you get to the extender dashboard, go to the Settings menu.
- Choose Wireless.
- Look for the option WiFi Password.
- When you find it, pick it and then click the ‘Use a Different Password’ button.
- Enter and confirm the new WiFi password for the extender.
- To save changes, scroll down and click the Save button.
That’s how you update your Netgear range extender’s default WiFi password. If you run into any problems while doing so, contact our specialists right away for instant assistance.
Update the latest firmware
Your Netgear wireless extender, like any other networking equipment, is powered by software. This software is known as the firmware. Netgear releases updated firmware versions on a regular basis to improve the extender’s performance. As a result, the extender’s firmware must be upgraded. Furthermore, updating the extender firmware adds security features to your wifi equipment, preventing potential threats. As a result, it is an ideal approach for securing the Netgear extender’s wifi network.
The steps for upgrading the firmware of a Netgear wireless extender are as follows:
- Check that your Netgear extender is receiving enough power.
- Now, save the firmware file for your Netgear extender anywhere suitable on your computer.
- After that, navigate to the Netgear Genie setup process by using the extender’s default web URL or IP address.
- Under the Settings menu, look for the Firmware update option.
- When you find it, click it and then click the browse button.
- Locate and pick the firmware file you downloaded earlier in the procedure.
- Then, press the Upload button.
- The firmware on your extender will be updated in a few minutes.
- In this method, you can encrypt your wifi network by updating the firmware of your extender.
Caution: Do not move your Netgear extender or alter web browser tabs after clicking the Upload button. This may cause the firmware update process to be interrupted or even corrupted.
Securing a Netgear wifi extender is a responsibility that goes hand in hand with having a lightning-fast internet connection. Finally, we hope that the rules outlined above will assist you in securing the wifi network of your extender. Contact our specialists if you require additional assistance with the security of your Netgear wifi extender.